RAO Davao City

United States Military Retiree Activities Office Davao City, Philippines


Posted by Service Officer on September 14th, 2008

In JAN 02, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act, stopped the special extra earnings that have been credited to military service personnel. If you earned military pay while on active duty since 1957 (including active duty time for training), Social Security taxes were paid on those earnings. And since 1988, inactive duty service in the reserves (such as weekend drills) has also been covered by Social Security. Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military service from 1957 through 2001 can be credited to your record for Social Security purposes. These extra earnings credits may help you qualify for Social Security or increase the amount of your Social Security benefit. Special extra earnings credits are granted for periods of active duty or active duty for training, but not for inactive (reserve) duty training. If you served on active duty:


• From 1957 through 1967, the Social Security Administration will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.

• From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.

• After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

Here’s how the special extra earnings are credited on the record of those who received active duty military service earnings from 1957 through 2001:

1. Service from 1957 through 1977: You are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.

2. Service from 1978 through 2001: For every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year. If you enlisted after 7 SEP 80 and didn’t complete at least 24 months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings. Check with your local Social Security office for details or refer to the Social Security Administration’s website http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/military.htm.

[Source: TogetherWeServed US Navy Newsletter Aug 08 ++]

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.